Friday, November 11, 2005

Graham Lindsey

Jaded music fan that I am, not many new recordings stop me in my tracks like they used to. And I guess I'm a serious snob now because the music that does impress me is hopelessly obscure - so overlooked I'm amazed I even found it. Which brings me to Graham Lindsey.

Lindsey's record came out way back in September '03 but I just got it today, turned on to it by my Yahoo Launchcast station of all things. Damn. It is really good.

This record clearly owes a serious debt to early Bob Dylan (one song, Dead Man's Waltz is pretty much To Ramona with different lyrics) but Lindsey still manages to offer something entirely his own. Besides, Bob Dylan hasn't sounded like early Bob Dylan for 40 years - somebody ought to.

Here's hoping Graham Lindsey comes out with a new record soon and finds a label that can do a little more promotion than the one that put this one out. He's got a song on the Bloodshot anniversary comp, so that's a good sign right there. If he can hold back the spirit of Robert Zimmerman and come out with another set of songs half the caliber of the ones on his debut, the kid'll be alright.

www.grahamlindseymusic.com

Emma Rumble (via Savefile)
Hutch Jack Flats Rag (Via SaveFile)

3 Comments:

Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

man , i know what you mean about being a jaded music fan. it takes a lot to be "wowed" now, but when it does it's a real treat.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd sacrifice a virgin for that "wowed" feeling. There was a flicker of hope with some of the "The (insert plural noun)" bands, but most of that stuff got pretty durn tired before too long. Sort of doubly-dated. One day I'll hear a song by The Strokes or something and remember,"Oh yeah, that was from when all those bands ripped-off rock from the Seventies and Eighties... Good times!"-DLS

2:16 AM  
Blogger Chance said...

Man, listening to 'Dead Man's Waltz' and I'm surprised he didn't give Dylan a songwriting credit.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home